The Presidency on Wednesday alerted the general public to a smear campaign in the works against President Muhammadu Buhari and his office by disgruntled political elements in the country.
The Presidency said the elements had been shopping for pliant online media that would serve as accomplices in their nefarious act.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, in a statement said the game plan was to launch orchestrated campaign of calumny in the days ahead, in which President Muhammadu Buhari would be portrayed as not being in charge of the country, a narrative already started from a procured offshore medium by the instigators.
He said money and other attractive inducements were being dangled before the online media, and some of them were already complicit, cooking up stories with jejune and unsubstantiated allegations, all to sow seeds of discord and discontent in the country.
Adesina urged Nigerians to be wary and discerning of “what they consume as news and special reports from such online media, as they are in cahoots with agents of destabilization, seeking ultimate political gains.”
He said President Buhari remained focused and single-minded in his determination to serve the country to the best of his ability, bringing changes to different facets of national life.
Adesina said this was already evident in infrastructure as seen in roads, rail, bridges, airports, and many other strides round the country.
He said that agriculture was another worthy testimonial.
He said the fight against corruption, insecurity, and retooling of the economy also proceeded apace, and the Buhari Administration would not be distracted, and would continue to serve with heart and might, irrespective of all shenanigans.