Yobe says verbal autopsy results show COVID-19 not responsible for mass deaths

0
300
Yobe State Government on Tuesday said preliminary report of the investigative response team constituted by the state government had shown that COVID-19 was not the cause of most of the mass deaths recorded in the state recently.
The State Commissioner of Health and Vice Chairman of the COVID-19 Committee, Dr. Mohammed Gana, told journalists in Damaturu that the preliminary report of the investigative response team constituted by the state government had confirmed that 90% of the mass death could not be traced to coronavirus.
The Commissioner said the team came to the conclusion after very meticulous, verbal autopsy by interviewing relatives of the deceased and medical personnel of those that died in the hospital or had documented medical history.
He disclosed that the team recorded 471 deaths from last week of April to 2nd Week of May, 2020 in Potiskum, Nguru, Gashu’a and Damaturu the state capital.
He said: ”57% of the total deaths had underlying chronic illness which included fever, hypertension, diabetes, renal disease maternal mortality and accident victims.”
The Commissioner revealed that 57% of total mortalities were older people within the age bracket of 50 and above years, with a majority of them being males.
He said: “16 of the 471 deceased relative revealed someone with similar symptoms, and all 16 were investigated and referred to facility. Out of the number, 3 out of the 16 met case definition of COVID-19”.
He explained that 96% of the number had no travel history outside the state just as the geospatial maps also indicated no clustering in the mortality.
Gana highlighted that civil servants in the state accounted for just 3% of the deaths with the remaining 97% of the deaths were among artisans and businessmen.
Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here