Oyo Abduction: Prof Alamu, husband of kidnapped principal, warns against jeopardising rescue ops

0
114
Oyo Abduction: Prof Alamu, husband of kidnapped principal, warns against jeopardising rescue ops
Mrs Alamu

Rescue efforts for abducted pupils, teachers and school administrators in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State are ongoing, according to Professor Wole Alamu, husband of kidnapped principal Mrs Alamu Folawe.

Speaking on Wednesday in a telephone interview with Eagle 102.5 FM, Professor Alamu said quoted to have said security operations were progressing but warned against public disclosure of sensitive details.

“We are going to grant interview, but not now. The work is seriously being done underneath. Anything you say now may jeopardise the rescue operations,” he said.

He commended Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde and security operatives for their coordinated response.

Advertisement

The abduction occurred after armed attackers targeted Community Grammar School Esiele, Baptist Nursery and Primary School Yawota, and L.A Primary School in the Esiele community. The assault left teacher Michael Oyedokun dead, while several pupils, students and teachers were taken. The Oyo State Police Command also confirmed the killing of assistant headmaster Mr Adesiyan and an okada rider.

A video circulating online on Friday showed Mrs Folawe appealing to the federal and state governments, security agencies, the Christian Association of Nigeria and the public to intervene for the release of the captives.

Security operations have since intensified across the affected areas and forest corridors. Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Rilwan Disu is personally overseeing a technology-driven rescue mission with the deployment of the police Intelligence Response Team.

Governor Makinde said two newly acquired surveillance aircraft would provide aerial intelligence over forest areas suspected to be harbouring the kidnappers. Security agencies said several suspects had been arrested for allegedly acting as informants to the abductors within the Old Oyo National Park.

The state government said it remains open to dialogue to secure the release of the victims but will not pay ransom.

President Bola Tinubu condemned the killing of the teacher as barbaric. His Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said security agencies were working round the clock to rescue the remaining victims and apprehend those responsible.

“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” the statement read.

Tinubu also reiterated his call for state police and urged the National Assembly to accelerate legislation to strengthen security in underserved communities. [Eagle 102.5 FM]

Stay ahead with the latest updates! Join The ConclaveNG on WhatsApp and Telegram for real-time news alerts, breaking stories, and exclusive content delivered straight to your phone. Don’t miss a headline — subscribe now!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Our Telegram Channel








Leave a Reply