NYSC members missing as gunmen attack INEC officials in Kogi


No fewer than six persons are feared missing after gunmen attacked six Hummer Buses carrying the officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Kogi State.

Reports said that the incident, which occurred about 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 19, in the Obajana area of Kogi State, left several INEC officials, including policemen and drivers with gunshot wounds.

The six missing persons included two serving NYSC members and four ex-corps members.

The injured persons are already on admission at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), now Federal University Teaching Hospital in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital.

One of the bus drivers, Salisu Ibrahim, who was shot in his right leg and recuperating at the hospital, disclosed that the attackers took them by surprise.

“We were on our way back to Lokoja from Abujor RAC with the results of the House of Assembly election held there when we were attacked by some people.

“All the six buses moving in a convoy were attacked and in the process many of us sustained injuries.

“Thank God, none of us died in the process, but I learned some Corps members went missing during the attack on us this early morning,” Ibrahim told NAN.

A corps member, Dare Owofadaju, who was shot in his left thigh, said: “It is only God that kept us alive considering the way and manner the gunmen attacked us.”

Owofadaju said the election was conducted peacefully and counting was completed, adding: “It was when we were returning to Lokoja that we were attacked at Obajana.

“Thank God some security operatives came to our rescue and rushed those of us injured to this Federal University Teaching Hospital, Lokoja, for immediate treatment.”

It was further gathered that the Commander, Headquarters Command Army Records (CAR), Maj-Gen. Sunday Igbinomwanhia, Kogi INEC REC, Dr Hale Longpet, and the Kogi NYSC Coordinator, Mofoluwaso Williams, have visited the injured in the hospital.

The REC and the state NYSC coordinator declined to respond to NAN inquiries on the incident.

However, the Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Williams Ovye-Aya, confirmed the incident, saying the police were on top of the situation.

“We are aware of the sad incident and preparing to issue a statement on the attack,” the police spokesperson stated.

Leave a Reply