Minister of Health, Dr Osagie, said on Thursday that Nigeria had not placed travel restrictions or ban following the outbreak of the coronavirus, code-named #COVID-19.
Osagie said this in Abuja while briefing members of the Diplomatic Corps on measures taken by Nigeria to contain the spread of the virus.
He said that the measures were initiated as a result of the two cases of COVID-19 so far recorded in the country with no deaths or serious illness as of March 11, 2020.
According to him, Nigeria’s preparedness and response are focused on surveillance at every entry point, infection prevention and control, risk communication, laboratory diagnosis, case management and coordination.
“The President of Nigeria just constituted the Federal Task Force led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
“Call care service at the Federal Ministry of Health has intensified screening of all incoming international travellers with the use of thermal scanners. We issue passengers self-reporting forms provided to all airlines.
“Nigeria has not yet placed any travel restrictions or ban. We strongly advise against non-essential travel to countries with high level of transition, such countries defined now as China, Japan, South Korea, Italy and Iran.
“We also require travellers from these countries to be in isolation for 14-days after entering Nigeria.
“This will be revised always according to the assessed level of risks. Travelers from these countries are not expected to undertake special measures, but to report immediately if there are any symptoms.”
He urged countries with high rate of COVID-19 transition to also conduct travels with screening and restrain travellers with obvious signs of being aware before boarding aircraft.
He stressed the need for yellow fever vaccination at points of entry as instructed by the World Health Organisation to help protect citizens.