Nigeria’s President-elect, Sen. Bola Tinubu, has condemned the attack on some United States Embassy officials at Ogabru in Anambra.
Tinubu, in a statement on Friday in Abuja by his media aide, Mr Tunde Rahman, said he was shocked to hear of the attack.
“Tinubu is deeply shocked to learn of the attack on United States Embassy convoys, just hours after his telephone call with the U.S Secretary of State, Antony Blinken.
“He expresses his sympathy and condolences with the U.S Government and families of the four personnel killed in the horrific attack at Ogabru, Anambra,” the statement said.
It said Tinubu had been making inquiries into the persons responsible and their motives, and would do all he could to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.
It added that security was one of the cardinal issues on Tinubu’s agenda, and he would give it priority attention on assumption of office.
This, it said, was why security featured prominently in his telephone discussion with Secretary Blinken.
The statement said Tinubu had, in a telephone conversation on May 16, with Blinken, urged the U.S to factor in Nigeria’s important place in Africa and provide needed assistance in the areas of security and economic investment.
This, he said, was critical for Nigeria to lead the way and be a shining example to the rest of Africa continent.
He said his immediate priorities would be to deliver institutional reforms and development programs to deepen Nigeria’s democratic institutions and bring help to poor and vulnerable Nigerians.