Abule Ado Gas Explosion: Sanwo-Olu advises residents to keep safe, releases protective equipment


Hours after the fire explosion at the Abule Ado area of Lagos, the State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised residents in the affected area to make safety their priority, urging them to maintain a safe distance from the scene of the explosion and fire as the site is still live.

The Governor also instructed the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) to immediately release personal safety equipment such as face and nose protection masks to be distributed to first responders, residents of the affected area and all safety workers at the ground zero. The safety equipment had been delivered.

An explosion rocked the Western part of the State in the early hours of Sunday morning, leading to fire incident with attendant effects on the atmosphere.

Safety agencies in the State were immediately mobilised to the scene of the incident to contain the fire and keep the residents safe.

The perimeter of the fire incident is under control.

A statement by the Governor’s chief press Secretary, Mr. Gboyega Akosile said the Governor sent the protective equipment to the affected site to prevent any form of medical hazard such as respiratory infections by the residents who may unknowingly inhale toxic substances from the explosion.

The Governor noted that in a situation like this, there would be a lot of unhealthy substances, gas particuate matters that can affect people’s lungs.

Governor Sanwo-Olu however reiterated the need for the residents to maintain a safe distance as practicable to avoid breathing in polluted air.

Meanwhile, combined safety teams of the Lagos State Emergency Authority (LASEMA); the Lagos Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA); the State Safety Commission; the Lagos State Fire Service; the Lagos State Ambulance Services(LASAMBUS), as well as the Nigerian Civil Defence (NSCDC), the Nigerian Navy and the Military are among the State and Federal agencies currently at the scene of the incident to ensure the safety of residents.

Leave a Reply