Suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Wednesday evening laid siege to Dapchi in Yobe State.
In February last year, over 100 schoolgirls including Leah Sharibu were abducted in the town.
Though all the girls were returned by the insurgents, Leah Sharibu, the only Christian girl, was held hostage till date.
The ConclaveNg received credible reports that the insurgents burnt down many structures in the town.
The structures that were destroyed included houses and communication masts which have made it difficult to get firsthand information via mobike telephony about the attacks from the residents.
A politician from the town who spoke to our correspondent in Damaturu, said that gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents attacked the town on Wednesday evening.
He said the people of the village had cried for help from their people living outside the town.
He said they had told some of them (villagers) that the insurgents were setting ablaze every structure.
He added that the people said many had taken to their heels and had run into the bushes so that they did not get killed or kidnapped.
The politician said it was however unfortunate that their lines later went dead and the belief was that perhaps they had destroyed the communication mast.
Another source said gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents attacked Dapchi town, which is about 100km, north of Damaturu the Yobe state capital on Wednesday evening.
He said they came in four Hilux Toyota jeeps and immediately after their arrival, the network services were cut off.
A senior police officer in the area who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity confirmed the attack on the town.
Attempt to get the Yobe State Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim to confirm the attack was unsuccessful as he did not pick his call nor reply to text messages by journalists.
When contacted, Lt Chinonso Oteh, the Acting Assistant Director Army Public Relations officer Sector 2 Operation Lafiya Dole, denied any attack on Dapchi.